Date:      Tue, 24 Jul 2001 04:54:06 -0700 (PDT)
From:      "f.johan.beisser" <jan@caustic.org>
To:        "Alexander S. Usov" <lex@itv.kiev.ua>
Cc:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: rl0: promiscuous mode enabled

On Tue, 24 Jul 2001, Alexander S. Usov wrote:

> Hi.
>
> Does anybody know what does that mean?

it means the network interface (rl0) is listening to all packets on the
wire. usually, this happens when you activate a program like 'tcpdump', or
some other packet sniffer.

usually, the NIC only listens to broadcasts addressed to itself, in
promiscuous mode, it will listen to ALL broadcasts it recieves, no matter
who it's for.

hope this helps,

-- jan

  http://caustic.org/~jan                      jan@caustic.org
   "if my thought-dreams could be seen..
       "they'd probably put my head in a gillotine"
	     -- Bob Dylan