Date:      Sun, 14 Mar 1999 19:39:49 -0700
From:      Steve Passe <smp@csn.net>
To:        Philippe CASIDY <pcasidy@worldnet.fr>
Cc:        smp@csn.net, freebsd-mobile@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: compatibility list

Hi,
> On 12 Mar, Steve Passe wrote:
> >
> > I would suggest that anyone doing coding on this project get copies of:
> >
> >  PCMCIA System Architecture, 2nd edition,  ISBN 0-201-40991-7
> >  CardBus System Architecture,              ISBN 0-201-40997-6
> >
> Hello
>
> I had a llok at this book at my local bookstore on friday afternoon.
> They seem to be hardware related. I mean, as far as I am concerned by
> improving drivers; are these books suitable?

  yes they are, to write a driver for a piece of hardware you need to know the
specifics of how the hardware operates.  (This mail was a reply to a previous
posting about the high cost of the PCMCIA docs from the consortium that
controls it)

> In fact, I wonder that documentation I can have a look to instead of
> the device driver writing guide?

  thats the other side of the coin, the spec for the software paradigm
to be used in the FreeBSD specific drivers.  Here I can't really help you,
you need to learn more about the existing arch. as well as the "new
bus arch."  Documentation on this seems to be a bit sparse... (someone please
correct me!)

--
Steve Passe	| powered by