Date:      Fri, 29 May 1998 22:31:21 -0700
From:      Mike Smith <mike@smith.net.au>
To:        "Jordan K. Hubbard" <jkh@time.cdrom.com>
Cc:        Mike Smith <mike@smith.net.au>, Eivind Eklund <eivind@yes.no>, current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: I see one major problem with DEVFS...

> > Uh, doing a reverse lookup on the major/minor pair would be pretty
> > unuseful.  If you've just deleted the device, you have no idea what
> > it's (dev) is, so you can't possibly supply them as arguments.
>
> Eh?  You still have an instance in your "template" mount that you can
> match up.  I also _know_ that majors and minors are going away - I'm
> not trying to argue for their long-term preservation, simply that they
> continue to have as much "meaning" as possible during the transition
> period (which I would expect to last as long as 1 maybe 2 years before
> people are entirely accustomed to the new model).

Yes, but you can't *look*at* the template mount to find out what these
numbers *are*.

As a user, if I have just nuked /dev/foo0, what I am going to want to do
is "mknod /dev/foo0 <blah>".

My suggestion was simply that the name /dev/foo0 contains everything
that's required to reconstruct the node, providing you haven't done
something smart like renaming it.  ie. you could only mknod "original"
devices.

As an alternative, whiteout support might be better, although I don't
think that many people are familiar with whiteouts.