Date:      Wed, 15 Mar 2000 09:29:36 -0800 (PST)
From:      R Joseph Wright <rjoseph@nwlink.com>
To:        Sheldon Hearn <sheldonh@uunet.co.za>
Cc:        Peter Schwenk <schwenk@math.udel.edu>, Jim C <jconner@enterit.com>, freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: httpd pid

On Wed, 15 Mar 2000, Sheldon Hearn wrote:

> On Tue, 14 Mar 2000 13:03:27 EST, Peter Schwenk wrote:
>
> > I've used the ports version with no problems.  The config files always go in
> > /usr/local/etc/apache.
>
> I agree.  It's always been my opinion that you need to be sticking some
> serious spanners in the spokes to get the Apache ports to screw up.

Yeah, I was actually trying to do *too* much configuring actually.  In
httpd.conf, the default ServerRoot is /usr/local.  I changed it to
/usr/local/etc/apache because that's where  all the config files
are.  That caused me to have to change other things around, like the path
to the modules.
That's where it was giving me trouble.  It turns out that after installing
it from the port, the only thing I had to do was set my hostname and fire
it up!
However, now that it works, I'm still confused why ServerRoot is set for
/usr/local.