Date:      Tue, 10 Aug 1999 20:06:53 -0700 (PDT)
From:      David Babler <dbabler@Rigel.orionsys.com>
To:        FreeBSD Questions List <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   rlogin vs PAM vs ???

I am running two boxes here, each running 3.2-STABLE; they were both more
or less upgraded the same way, using CVSup, one from 2.2.8, the other from
2.2.9 or thereabouts. Both have both the elf and aout libraries, both are
using elf. On one, the machine upgraded from 2.2.8-STABLE, whenever anyone
logs in using rlogin they get the infamous:

   inetd in realloc(): warning: junk pointer, too low to make sense.
   inetd in free(): warning: junk pointer, too low to make sense.

followed by a normal looking login. In the log, there is also:

   10 Aug 19:47:23 Rigel login: auth_pam: Conversation error.

The *other* 3.2-STABLE box works just fine. The /etc/pam.conf files are
identical (the default). I am not using kerberos. Telnet logins and ssh
logins work fine, only rlogin.

Anybody have an idea what I've overlooked or broken and/or where to start
looking? The problematic machine did not have a /usr/lib/aout/pam_unix.so
so I copied over the aout object file with no result (the machine that
works has both lib versions of pam_unix.so).

-Dave