Date:      Thu, 14 Sep 1995 09:51:04 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Wes Santee <wsantee@wsantee.oz.net>
To:        asami@cs.berkeley.edu (Satoshi Asami)
Cc:        freebsd-ports@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: jpeg-5b port broken in -stable?

Satoshi Asami sez:

> I have no idea why you have a problem like that.  I just tried
> /usr/ports/graphics/jpeg on my system (running -stable at the moment),
> everything went as expected and libjpeg.so.5.1 was installed.

Just to follow up on this, I found the problem (although, not the
cause).  It seems some of my sup's have been downloading garbage
files.  In particular, the patches for the jpeg port was a file full of
'^@'s.  When I deleted the patch file, and  re-supped, a good patch
file was downloaded which had in it the changes to the Makefile to
create the shared library.  I went through and found several other
files like this.  I was surprised that sup didn't catch these as bogus
files, when re-supping, but it didn't.

Cheers,
--
( -Wes Santee                        | You're never dead 'til you're )
( wsantee@wsantee.oz.net             | out of quarters.  --InSoc     )