Date:      Mon, 2 Apr 2007 13:54:57 -0700
From:      Freddie Cash <fcash@ocis.net>
To:        stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Changing Console Resolution - Vidcontrol

On Monday 02 April 2007 12:07 pm, Lars Eighner wrote:
> On Mon, 2 Apr 2007, Schiz0 wrote:
> > I'm wondering how you can increase the resolution of the console in
> > FreeBSD stable. I have read the man page on vidcontrol and googled
> > around a bit, but I'm still confused about what to do. I'm currently
> > running FreeBSD in VMWare on a windows machine (But that'll change as
> > soon as I learn enough to put it up my server, which currently runs
> > linux). I'd like to have something like 1024x768 resolution or so.
> > Also, the man pages mention something about VESA modules. What
> > exactly is this, and do I need it? My kernel is currently compiled
> > without support for it. Would I need to recompile my kernel again?
>
> You're question does not quite make sense.  "Console" is more or less
> the FreeBSD word for "boss text-mode terminal." It has nothing to do
> with what a terminal window might look like in a GUI such as Windows or
> X.  The first question is what *text* modes does your hardware support.
>  I don't know of video hardware that supports 1024x768 raster text.  If
> your hardware supports it and you want the VESA modes, you can compile
> VESA support into the kernel (which you should do if you use it just
> about all the time) or it can be load dynamically (see man 4 vga).
> Ditto for 90 column VGA. Most of the console modes are regular vga text
> modes and they are usually expressed in terms of lines(high) x
> columns(wide), for example the standard 25x80.
>
> I suspect you do not really want a console resolution of 1024x768 (px).
> I suspect you want 1024x758 in a GUI, in which case you need to be
> researching X as vidcontrol has nothing to do with that.

1024x768 is a pretty standard VESA mode used on a lot of people's text
consoles.  :)  On most videocards, MODE_279 will be 1024x768 w/16 bpp
colour.  Check the output of "vidcontrol -i".  You'll see a lot of
different modes, some text, some raster/bitmap/VESA/whatever-you-call-it.

This has nothing to do with X or any GUI.

--
Freddie Cash
fcash@ocis.net