Date:      Tue, 10 Jun 2003 21:54:15 -0600
From:      Gary Aitken <freebsd@dreamchaser.org>
To:        Olivier Nicole <on@cs.ait.ac.th>
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Booting using serial console

   The serial ports are ok.
   However, in checking that out I discovered that it will boot from the
   serial console if there is also a keyboard plugged in (no monitor).
   So then I put the monitor on and unplugged the keyboard.
   The boot sequence shows:
     "keyboard error"
   during the initial BIOS boot.
   Then, when the scsi devices are probed, I get
     <F1> to resume, <F2> to setup
   It looks like BIOS won't let me boot unattended without a keyboard.
   With the keyboard, it comes up ok on the serial port.
   Anyone know of a way around this?
   Olivier Nicole wrote:

I've got a vt220 plugged into com1; I know the cable is good because I
plugged it into com1 on a windoze box and could read and write the vt220
using hyperterminal.

Stupid question, but you are sure that the serial ports are not
disabled in the BIOS?

I know I'd install through normal screen/keyboard and would try to
remove them only when the system is more or less stable.

Bests,

olivier