Date:      Mon, 22 Oct 2001 10:26:17 +1000
From:      Aras Vaichas <aras@apcs.com.au>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org, cvsup-bugs@polstra.com
Subject:   cvsup, Treelist failed, etc

I have been getting the same problems that a lot of other people are having
with cvsup, Treelist failed, timeouts, etc.

But I have these interesting facts:

1) This problem first appeared when I changed ISPs to one.net.au (now defunct).
2) The problem went away when I moved to froggy.com.au. With froggy I had
NO problems with cvsup *and* I was using my Windoze box as my dialup and
gateway box (because FreeBSD was screwing with my emails)

/usr/share/examples/cvsup# nmap -O froggy.com.au

Starting nmap V. 2.54BETA22 ( www.insecure.org/nmap/ )
Warning:  OS detection will be MUCH less reliable because we did not find
at least 1 open and 1 closed TCP port
Interesting ports on  (202.129.90.33):
(The 1533 ports scanned but not shown below are in state: filtered)
Port       State       Service
21/tcp     open        ftp
25/tcp     open        smtp
80/tcp     open        http
1026/tcp   open        nterm
1032/tcp   open        iad3
3389/tcp   open        msrdp
5800/tcp   open        vnc
5900/tcp   open        vnc
6050/tcp   open        arcserve

No exact OS matches for host (test conditions non-ideal).

3) Now I have moved to Telstra Bigpond ADSL, and the problem has returned.

Here is a typical cvsup session.

/usr/share/examples/cvsup# cvsup -v
CVSup client, non-GUI version
Copyright 1996-2001 John D. Polstra
Software version: SNAP_16_1d
Protocol version: 16.1
Operating system: FreeBSD4
http://www.polstra.com/projects/freeware/CVSup/
Report problems to cvsup-bugs@polstra.com

/usr/share/examples/cvsup# cvsup -g -L 2 -P- -h ftp4.freebsd.org
my_4.x-stable-supfile
Parsing supfile "my_4.x-stable-supfile"
Connecting to ftp4.freebsd.org
Connected to ftp4.freebsd.org
Server software version: SNAP_16_1e
Negotiating file attribute support
Exchanging collection information
Establishing passive-mode data connection
Running
Updating collection src-all/cvs
TreeList failed: Network write failure: Connection lost
Will retry at 08:42:45
... etc

Any help would be appreciated.

regards,