Date:      Tue, 22 Apr 2003 13:45:11 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Jerry McAllister <jerrymc@clunix.cl.msu.edu>
To:        beemern@ksu.edu
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: linux/freebsd kernel differences

> theres an argument here in our office about linux vs. freebsd
>
> we're building a new nfs server for our entire dept, and i suggested using
> fbsd, however, an opponent put forth linux and said that:
>
> "there is no difference between linux and freebsd kernels, except that
> linux has much better driver support.. WHY use obscure freebsd?"

There is a significant difference between the kernels.
When it comes to network serving, FreeBSD is more stable and
servicable and probably even higher performing overall.
FreeBSD tends to have fewer exploitable holes as well and
fixes are quickly put out and readily applied when does happen.

FreeBSD people have concentrated on creating and maintaining
reliable drivers for needed peripherals.   But, FreeBSD tends
to not have drivers for every fly-by-night piece of flow-solder
that comes along - which you don't want for a real server anyway.

////jerry