Date:      Wed, 12 Oct 2005 11:42:41 +0100
From:      Jonathon McKitrick <jcm@FreeBSD-uk.eu.org>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Implementing software licensing in FreeBSD

Setting aside opinions on copy protection and licensing, suppose I wanted to
implement such a scheme.

The key itself might be a network license, or an encrypted file containing
license info and system-specific info.  But the real issue is how to protect
the code that accesses the key.  I know that 'wrappers' don't have much of an
application in Unix, and are actually impractical.  But what techniques could
be implemented within a library or archive that would make it difficult for
someone to trace the algorithm and/or make changes to the code to remove the
protection checks?

jm