Date:      Tue, 31 May 2005 17:08:46 +0900
To:        questions <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   installing boot0 via dd

I have a sony Vaio U50.  It's a pretty cool device but sony seems to
be locking out non-Sony floppy/cdrom drive during the boot process.=20
As a result I can't use either of my usb-floppy or usb-cdrom drive,
even though the bios boot order is set to try floppy, optical drive,
then HDD.

I want to install boot0 onto the MBR so at least i'll have the option
of booting from a second harddrive.

Here is what I am thinking...
1) go to a different freebsd box with boot0 already installed.
2) use dd to grab a image file of the MBR
3) boot into knoppix on the machine (i already have it installed on the HDD=
)
4) use dd to load the image file to the MBR

can someone tell me if the following commands are correct for grabbing
and reloading the MBR?
1) on Freebsd:  dd if=3D/dev/ad0 of=3Dboot0file bs=3D1b count=3D1
2) on knoppix:  dd if=3Dboot0file of=3D/dev/hda bs=3D1b count=3D1