Date:      Sat, 05 May 2001 18:08:49 -0500
From:      Stephen Montgomery-Smith <stephen@math.missouri.edu>
To:        stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: ISN number prediction ?

Stephen Montgomery-Smith wrote:

> Juha Saarinen wrote:
> >
> > :: I remember that if you run the program nmap on your server with the
> > :: right flags, that it will give its opinion on how good this is.
> > :: But I don't remember the right sequence of flags to do this - anyone
> > :: care to help me?

Yes, it is -O -v.  As someone else suggested, it is just a number,
but it is much much much higher than it used to be.

Interestingly, before the TCP changes, the numbers used to depend
upon how far away the computer being checked was from the computer
running nmap.  I guess it is reasonable that the faster the
IP stuff gets sent, the smaller the time between the number generation,
and hence the less random will seen the sequencing.

Now the score that nmap gives of FreeBSD seems pegged on the max setting.

--
Stephen Montgomery-Smith
stephen@math.missouri.edu