Date:      Wed, 6 Jan 1999 17:02:30 +0200 (SAT)
From:      Robert Nordier <rnordier@nordier.com>
To:        dcs@newsguy.com (Daniel C. Sobral)
Cc:        mike@smith.net.au, current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Trouble booting from WinNT with new boot loader

Daniel C. Sobral wrote:

> Mike Smith wrote:
> >
> > You need "set num_ide_disks=1" in /boot/boot.conf; you can also break
> > to the loader commandline and issue the command directly to test it out
> > first.
>
> This has just become a FAQ... Where is (is?) num_ide_disks
> documented? Also, Nordier's (Nordier's?) "new boot blocks" tutorial
> ought to mention it.

The "new boot blocks" tutorial limits itself to the "boot blocks":
that is, the hidden first and second stages of the bootstrap which
are written to the disk by disklabel(8).

The /boot/loader program really falls into a separate category;
and I can't speak with any authority on /boot/boot.conf settings
as I've never worked on those parts of the code.

--
Robert Nordier