Date:      Sat, 9 Jan 1999 21:59:01 -0800 (PST)
From:      Matthew Dillon <dillon@apollo.backplane.com>
To:        "Michael G." <mikegoe@ibm.net>
Cc:        "freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG" <freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD Cluster Size

:I'm building a chart that describes the different file
:formats and how the cluster size is dependent on the
:partition size (except ofcourse for HPFS).  What I need to
:know is what is the cluster size for the FreeBSD
:3.0-RELEASE?
:
:If you know..please do tell <grin>
:
:Thanks.
:
:Michael G.

    There is nothing specific to FreeBSD 2.x or 3.x that changes
    the layout of typical filesystem types.  For UFS/FFS, you can
    mess around with the parameters to newfs to get pretty much
    whatever layout you want.  UFS/FFS puts restrictions on
    various parameters, but they tend to be relative restrictions,
    so you can scale the parameters as you like.

    See 'man newfs' and 'man tunefs'.

    Also, after 3.0 release, the reallocblks code was fixed and
    reenabled in UFS/FFS so, effectively, you get a defragger now
    too.

					-Matt

    Matthew Dillon  Engineering, HiWay Technologies, Inc. & BEST Internet
                    Communications & God knows what else.
    <dillon@backplane.com> (Please include original email in any response)