Date:      Sat, 25 Apr 1998 20:18:54 -0700
From:      Mike Smith <mike@smith.net.au>
To:        Doug Rabson <dfr@nlsystems.com>
Cc:        current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: ELF kernels: When?

> On Fri, 24 Apr 1998, Mike Smith wrote:
> > The major issues are build-related; the NetBSD bootblocks have a
> > ringworm-like grip on the rest of the kernel source tree which has
> > resisted the last couple of efforts I've put into separating them.
>
> Sounds like we need src/contrib/netbsd.  No, no, stop hitting me!

8)

The problem with attacking the NetBSD bootblocks is that they have to
be swallowed all at once; if you want to build using their existing
infrastructure you need a kernel layout that looks exactly like theirs,
as well as the NetBSD make (because they use some new hacks), and their
includes, and...

Ripping it all out and restructuring it somewhere else seems to make so
much sense. 8)