Date:      Fri, 12 Sep 1997 08:03:25 +1000
From:      "Richard Lyon" <rlyon@ozemail.com.au>
To:        "Greg Lehey" <grog@lemis.com>, <rfg@monkeys.com>
Cc:        <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: Bummer... Trying to install WITHOUT DOS

 Yes I wonder also.

I use floppies to install FBSD, X86Free, emacs, tex, latex, octave ...
FBSD (2.1.5, 2.2.1 & 2.2.2) appears to have problems with about 10% of
floppy disks. I have
tried different hardware for both reading and writing. The problem
only happens with disks with all tracks loaded. The disks have been
formatted using FBSD, WIN95 or WINNT. I generally stick to verbatim.

There have been no problems with the boot disk ever. After reading about
the various problems people have had over the years I follow the following
procedure to create a boot floppy.

1. Use the WINNT box and use WS-FTP to download the image with binary mode
set.
2. Format a floppy and check it for errors on the WINNT box. If any track
   errors are found, I throw the floppy away.
3. Use rawrite2.exe (from ftp.debian.org) to copy the image onto the floppy.

There is no issue with using NT to create the boot floppy. I use rawrite2
as it is fast and reliable. There is no problems if NT is running a lot of
other application while rawrite2 is doing its stuff.

Yes I have a big box of disks, but it all works.