Date:      Thu, 17 Apr 2003 15:13:55 +0200
From:      Wilko Bulte <wkb@freebie.xs4all.nl>
To:        Chris Knight <chris@e-easy.com.au>
Cc:        freebsd-alpha@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: DEC 3000/700?

On Thu, Apr 17, 2003 at 10:49:42AM +1000, Chris Knight wrote:

> >  > AFAIK TurboChannel support is not available in FreeBSD 5.0, but it
> >  > seems to be available in 4.8-RELEASE.

But it was not tested at all for 4.8 so...

> Didn't think to check the 4.8 Hardware docs - I'd assumed that 5.0
> would have been more complete.

5- dropped support for DEC3000 altogether.

> > It was never very complete because there are no SCSI or display
> > drivers.

A long time ago SCSI worked on DEC3000 IIRC (pre-CAM era). If you want
to run this box go for NetBSD.

> > Unless you have the urge to port a SCSI driver from NetBSD, don't buy
> > this to run FreeBSD

You don't want to *buy* a DEC3000 anyway. By now they should be free
from your neighbourhood dumpster. They are neat pieces of engineering, built
like a tank etc. But just completely obsolete by now.