Date:      Thu, 29 Feb 1996 19:09:33 +0200 (SAT)
From:      Peter van Heusden <pvh@leftside.its.uct.ac.za>
To:        Peter Stubbs <peters@staidan.qld.edu.au>
Cc:        freebsd-fs@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Compressing filesystem for FreeBSD

On Wed, 28 Feb 1996, Peter Stubbs wrote:

> On 24 Feb 96, Peter van Heusden wrote:
>

> > Does anyone know if anyone has done any work on writing a
> > compressing filesystem for FreeBSD? I've been thinking about this,
> > and the strategies to do it, and I'd like to know if there is any
> > previous work out there I can refer to...
> >
> This isn't much of an answer, but since nobody else has said
> anything I'll point out that the the nearest thing that's here now is the
> pseudo-device gzip which allows gziped a.outs to be run. Perhaps all
> that is needed is to extend that device to other files?

Hm. I'll have a look at it...

> I'd hate to see us go the same direction as MS-DOG and create a
> single file with all the other files compressed into it. Perhaps the
> netware 4 technique of compressing files that haven't been access for
> a certain time using a (very) niced daemon?

That's what I was thinking.

Basically, you have two places where you can interface, imo:

1) At the block level, when a block is written/read from disk. Now,
someone on hackers just mentioned that that might cause problems with
efficiency - as I recall, down there things are meant to work on nice
aligned boundaries, and things.

2) At the file level, when a file is read/written. Netware 4, as you
mention, does a mark 'n sweepish compress, and then a decompress when you
access a compressed file. This looks kinda simpler. I haven't looked deep
into the FS code to decide whether it is simple or not, though.

As for the MSDOG idea of keeping things in a single file - that's what we
got filesystems for, no? My initial idea for a compressing FS was that I
would like /usr/src to be a compressing FS, but /usr/bin shouldn't be.
Since you're working with a real OS with a real FS, you don't need to
wonder about the psuedo-FS garbage MSDOG loads you with... *but* one thing
to watch out for on a compressing FS is the integrity of your data.  You
don't want to lose a whole file because a single block got screwed or
something.

Hm. Anyway, it sounds like I should got the drawing board for the while
and see if anything comes up.

Peter