Date:      Thu, 01 Jan 2004 21:34:59 -0000
From:      dorqus <dorqus@bsdfreek.com>
To:        Peter Schuller <peter.schuller@infidyne.com>
Cc:        mobile@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Least supported laptop for FreeBSD under $1k

Peter Schuller wrote...
> FYI, the are multiple suspend modes (see 'man acpiconf'). If you do a 'sysctl
> -a | grep acpi' you should find one where you can set the
> sleep-mode-on-lid-close to something else, such as S3 (I can't check which
> one right now; running with APM).

from sysctl hw.acpi:

hw.acpi.supported_sleep_state: S3 S4 S5
hw.acpi.power_button_state: S5
hw.acpi.sleep_button_state: S1
hw.acpi.lid_switch_state: S1
hw.acpi.standby_state: S1
hw.acpi.suspend_state: S3

> I don't have the same laptop as you do, but almost - an IBM T40p. On this
> machine, suspend at level 3 almost works except dead USB and behavior
> consistent with heavy load after the resume. You may want to try this with
> your laptop.

using S3 does suspend the laptop, when I power it back on, the X display
looks like it's burning from inside the LCD and I have to pull the battery
and pull the power, then reboot it.

> As an alternative you can try using APM. APM suspend mostly works on the T40p;
> it might work on yours too.

Yeah I might try that, or just deal with closing the lid when I'm not using
it.

josh