Date:      Tue, 04 Jun 2002 09:30:39 -0700
From:      inspector.us@omicnet.com
To:        johann@broadpark.no, sroberts@dsl.pipex.com
Cc:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: PRINT: HP DeskJet 820Cxi

6/4/2002 5:32:25 AM, "S. Roberts" <sroberts@dsl.pipex.com> wrote:

>Hi Johann,
>   I saw your post that relates to an earlier post I had concerning my
>wanting to get my parallel printing to work - I also am hoping to get my
>FreeBSD box to print to a HP Deskjet 820 Cxi for Windows - Professional
>Series printer here without any success so far. I should say, that I've
>not had many replies to my original post (sorry).
>
>I saw in your post that you actually have your ppc0 port detected
>correctly by your system, which is the problem I have. On boot, this is
>all I get for my ppc0:
>$ cat dmesg.boot | grep ppc
>ppc0: cannot reserve I/O port range
>$
>
>Here is the kernel support I have compiled in:
>device          scbus           # SCSI bus (required)
>device          da              # Direct Access (disks)
>
># Parallel port
>device          ppc0    at isa? irq 7
>device          ppbus           # Parallel port bus (required)
>device          lpt             # Printer
>device          plip            # TCP/IP over parallel
>device          ppi             # Parallel port interface device
>device          vpo             # Requires scbus and da
>
>Needless to say, I can't get parallel port printing going from the start
>here. Did you have to do any particular Kernel / bios configs in order
>to get your parallel port configured?
>
>Sorry I can't be any help to your case, but I'm hoping you could at
>least assist me in getting somewhere with mine - then at I could see if
>I could get on working on getting this printer to work as well.
>
>Thanks for any help in advance!
>
>Stacey
>

>On Tue, 2002-06-04 at 06:53, johann@broadpark.no wrote:
>> ppc0: <Parallel port> at port 0x378-0x37f irq 7 on isa0
>> ppc0: Generic chipset (NIBBLE-only) in COMPATIBLE mode
>> ppbus0: IEEE1284 device found /NIBBLE/ECP
>> Probing for PnP devices on ppbus0:
>> ppbus0: <HEWLETT-PACKARD DESKJET 820C> SCP,VLINK
>> plip0: <PLIP network interface> on ppbus0
>> lpt0: <Printer> on ppbus0
>> lpt0: Interrupt-driven port
>> ppi0: <Parallel I/O> on ppbus0
>>
>> There's no doubt about it, it does get detected. Then why can't I lptest >
>> /dev/lpt0?
>>
>> Note, as modems have winmodems this printer is labeled 'For
Windows'. I hope
>> that won't interfere with anything.
>>
>> Thanks.
>>
>> -- Johann

>> with "unsubscribe freebsd-questions" in the body of the message
>--
>Stacey Roberts B.Sc. (HONS) Computer Science
>Network Systems Engineer

Nor have I.  I have the 820 Cse, and finally found a CUPS driver module for
it.  See www.cups.org for more info.  The driver is called 'pnm2ppa', and it
requires that you edit the makefile a bit before installing (I think it still needs
to be 'adapted' for FreeBSD.  This is one of several models of DJ that need
this 'special' driver.  I am a newbie, so if anyone gets this to work, PLEASE
let me know!  Thanks,

Best Regards,

Joshua Lokken
OMIC Portland Branch