Date:      Fri, 28 Apr 1995 09:51:04 +0400 (GMT+0400)
From:      Anthony Graphics <agl@mac.glas.apc.org>
Cc:        hackers@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: Is there any FAQ on thge serial in FreeBSD?

On Thu, 27 Apr 1995, J Wunsch wrote:

> Date: Thu, 27 Apr 1995 23:50:27 +0200 (MET DST)
> From: J Wunsch <j@jette.heep.sax.de>
> To: Anthony Graphics <agl@redline.ru>
> Cc: hackers@FreeBSD.org
> Subject: Re: Is there any FAQ on thge serial in FreeBSD?
>=20
> > I'm spending the second day trying to setup a dialin.
> > One simple question: should the /usr/libexec/getty be used for that
> > purpose? Where are the modem init strings are located?
> > Any entries I should add into /etc/gettytab?
>=20
> I think there is a FAQ somewhere in the Web page.
I've got the FAQ (the second time in fact: last time I've read it a
week ago but forgot everything already ;-)
Thank you guys for responsiveness: the second read through the
FAQ cleared things to me ;-)

>=20
> Yes, /usr/libexec/getty is the way to go.  You normally don't need
> to add anything in gettytab, just edit /etc/ttys, and "kill -HUP 1"
> to get the change in effect.
>=20
> Modem init string?  Huh, "ats0=3D1&w", and let the modem do the rest.

From=20what I understand I should initiate the modem once with either
tip or cu and then AT&W. So, /usr/libexec/getty loads the NVRAM profile
with ATZ? What is not clear is: what would happen if NVRAM'd get lost
or corrupted someshow? Could I init the modem from the batch file
(well, something that has the same effect as /etc/default/uu*S? in gettyps)
? I suppose I could, but what is the proper tool to do this? Kermit or
chat from pppd-2.1.2c package?

>=20
> Remember, the normal way to share a line for dialin/dialout is
> to access it via /dev/cuaa* (dialout) and /dev/ttyd* (dialin).
> The open(2) call on the dialin device will block until the carrier
> appears, and if you think more about this, there is not even a
> chance to have the getty talking to the modem at this time.

That's nice. Ok, is there any way to use getty with modem in
the command mode (i.e. ATS=3D0 and wait for "RING") so that it won't
pick up the phone when the system is down or shan't I be doing it?

>=20
> Of course, you're free to use mgetty, which must use the dialout
> device in order to work.  Anyway, the device sharing must be done
> via those ***ing lock files then, which can cause serious race
> conditions.  (Believe me, i do use mgetty, since my modem is too
> braindead to do what it's expected to do.  My slip dial script
> is full of hacks which are only needed for that lock file crap,
> and there are still race conditions, but i'm tired to try even
> more hackery on this.  I wish i had the money for a really working
> modem right now, and could go back to the regular getty instead
> of all those hacks.)

Hmm, I tried mgetty under linux but I still can't get into one thing:
is there any way to use this stuff in the system with zoo of modems
of different type, init strings are hardwired, right?

Thanx to everybody responded: I'm not familar with bsd serial at
all as you may notice ;-) Still it resembles a bit Intaractive in
the dialin part :^)