Date:      Thu, 09 Mar 2000 13:24:10 EST
From:      "John Daniels" <jmd526@hotmail.com>
To:        jkh@zippy.cdrom.com
Cc:        freebsd-current@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: FBSD4.0-RC3 install

Hi:
I got the install floppies from the ftp directory that you listed.  When the
install came to a point where it asked for the ftp site to get the
distribution, it listed a "primary" site (ftp.freebsd.org, I believe) and
several other mirror sites, one of which was the current snapshot site.  The
message on this screen said that only the primary site was guaranteed to
have all releases, so I tried that.  The install program returned
immediately saying that it couldn't find the files.  So I tried the snapshot
site, and it worked.  I believe that I may have even seen a March 8th date
at somepoint also.

In any case, I completely understand that special proceedures would be
warranted for Release Candidates, resulting in a mismatch with the message
on the "pick an ftp transfer site" screen -- and an erroneous assumption on
my part that the snapshot site was the next best thing.  My only desire
right now is to get this right. So, I am now wondering:

1- What did I miss in not getting the "local distribution?" (I searched
freebsd.org to no avail) and what else might I have missed?
2- Is there any easy and/or correct way to recover (/stand/sysinstall?,
CVSup?), or should I just reinstall?

John