Date:      Tue, 14 Apr 1998 22:20:13 -0400
From:      Cory Kempf <ckempf@enigami.com>
To:        David Kelly <dkelly@hiwaay.net>, freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD on Macintosh

>root@los0.math.rsu.ru writes:
>> Please inform me whether FreeBSD is available for PowerPC Macintosh
>
>Wait for Rhapsody. A wider distributed pseudo release is due this
>month. Maybe you can qualify. Public release to anybody is due late
>this year. No, I don't know where to apply.

I strongly suspect that you will need to be in the Apple developer program,
which will cost you either $500 or $3500, depending on which level of
access you want.  You will then need to sign a NDA to get into the seeding
program.

FWIW, Rhapsody will likely not be a complete unix... any more than NeXT
was.  Specifically, X will most likely be left out.

Also, Apple is repositioning Rhapsody as a "server" OS, as opposed to
desktop.  This may indicate Apple's intent to charge a price similar to
that charged for other OSes (NT, BSDI, et al).  Or it may mean that it will
only run on 604 based systems.  Or it may mean nothing.

There is also some real strange brain dammage due to networking: BSD is
sockets based.  MacOS is streams based.  Doign sockets on top of streams is
fairly easy.  There is a MacOS emulator (blue box) in Rhapsody.  There is
some wierdness down at a low level to support this.

Also, Rhapsody will be Mach 2.5 based.  Not sure how this will affect
anything.  MkLinux was Mach 3 based, and seemed very compatible with the
intel versions, but (and this could be my imagination) it did seem much
slower.

+C

--
Thinking of purchasing RAM from the Chip Merchant?  Please read this first:
<http://www.enigami.com/~ckempf/chipmerchant.html>;

Cory Kempf                  Macintosh / Unix Consulting & Software Development
ckempf@enigami.com          <http://www.enigami.com/~ckempf/>;