Date:      Fri, 1 Dec 1995 20:18:15 +0100 (MET)
From:      Andreas Klemm <andreas@knobel.gun.de>
To:        Lyndon Nerenberg <lyndon@orthanc.com>
Cc:        Peter da Silva <peter@taronga.com>, hackers@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: More nits

On Sun, 26 Nov 1995, Lyndon Nerenberg wrote:

> My biggest complaint with the ports stuff right now is the way it
> scribbles all over /usr/local. Even worse, it isn't consistent (e.g.
> binaries installed in /usr/bin and support stuff under /usr/local/lib).
> /usr/local should be HANDS OFF to the vendor-supplied software, something
> I consider "ports" to be.
>
> The ports software should be configured to install into either the
> standard directory tree, or into a seperate /usr/ports hierarchy.

What about

	/usr/ports/NameOfPackage/{bin,man,lib,include,info,doc}

And - to have only one path in $PATH and $MANPATH - symlinks of every
package in:

	/usr/ports/{bin,man,lib,include,info}

Makes it easier to see, what belongs to a port. I generally dislike
a /usr/local/bin directory with about 327 utilities ...

--
andreas@knobel.gun.de       /\/\___  Wiechers & Partner Datentechnik GmbH
   Andreas Klemm        ___/\/\/       - Support Unix - aklemm@wup.de -