Date:      Sat, 1 Jun 2002 13:33:21 +0200
From:      Matthias Andree <matthias.andree@stud.uni-dortmund.de>
To:        freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: 4.6-RELEASE delayed

On Fri, 31 May 2002, Bruce A. Mah wrote:

> > My main board, a Gigabyte 7ZX-R rev. 1.0, offers four ATA channels. Two
> > are driven by the south bridge, VIA KT133 (VT82C686 stuff), the other
> > two are driven by a Promise PDC-20265R (in UDMA/100 mode). IIRC, this
> > Promise chip is in the "doesn't to tags, but freezes" blacklist. VIA
> > chips are not blacklisted, and AFAICS, tagged queueing not working on my
> > system is a regression over 4.5-RELEASE which had working tagged
> > queueing.
>
> "blacklist" isn't really the right word here (it implies some
> deliberate malice).  I get your point though, you have working tagged
> queueing on 4.5 but not on 4.6.

I wasn't aware of a "negative" or "malicious" connotation of "black
list", I just saw it as a list that said "do not dare tagged queueing on
these chips".

> After much discussion between soren and murray, the conclusion was that
> soren probably won't be able to fix this in time for the release.  (We
> offered to hold it a few days.)  So unless something miraculous happens
> in the next few days, 4.6-RELEASE will ship with the ata(4) system as it
> sits today.

OK.

> Please note that:  ATA tagged queueing is disabled by default (you need
> to enable it explicitly).  There's also only a few drives (as I
> understand it) that even support this feature.  I tried to capture this
> in the release notes for 4.6.  Yes, it sucks if you happen to use this
> feature.

In 4.5, tagged queueing was tried on IBM DPTA*, DTLA* and IC35L* drives
(see this as shell pattern). Some more drives offer tagged queueing, for
example, some Western Digital like my AC420400D, but FreeBSD won't work
with them (I tried putting my drive on the list of "good" drives for
tagged queueing, but it didn't work out.)

It seems as though this drive had a working implementation from what the
Linux IDE folk say, but I must yet test this under load before I can
claim "it will work".

> The alternative (according to soren) is to back out the entire MFC of
> the ata(4) system, which means we'd lose support for new controllers,
> atacontrol(8), lots of ATA raid support, and other bugfixes and features
> I've lost track of.  We thought this was a lose, so we're proceeding.

Ok.

> Holding up the release indefinitely is not really an alternative.  Our
> calendar from 2002 includes the following releases and snapshots:
> 4.5-RELEASE, 5.0-DP1, 4.6-RELEASE, 5.0-DP2, 4.7-RELEASE, 5.0-RELEASE.
> Put another way, the same people trying to get 4.6-RELEASE out the door
> now are going to try to bring the 5.0-DP2 snapshot to you twenty-six
> days from today. [1]

Yup. I'm just wondering if a bugfix would be committed to 4.6-STABLE
(that usually should only receive security fixes).

--
Matthias Andree