Date:      Wed, 20 Feb 2002 22:01:32 -0500
From:      Alan Clegg <alan@clegg.com>
To:        Noah Davidson <Noah@oopz.com>
Cc:        "FreeBSD-ISP List (E-mail)" <freebsd-isp@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: backups

--dkEUBIird37B8yKS

Unless the network is lying to me again, Noah Davidson said:=20
>         [...]                               We are interested in Veritas=
=20
> BackupExec products.  We have used these before.      [...]

I am currently forced to use BackupExec running on NT to bacup UNIX clients
(Solaris, Linux, and FreeBSD), and can tell you:

		RUN AWAY!

We have actually seen the backup software cause corruption in files as
they are backed up. =20

I'd recommend that if you really want to use BackupExec, use dump to create
disk-based 'backup images' and either drop them to an NT filesystem for the
BackupExec suite to save, or aim BackupExec at a samba share...  We are=20
using Amanda to backup to disk, then dropping those files to an NT box.

AlanC {details on why to not use BackupExec when backing up Rational's=20
	ClearCase data on request}

--dkEUBIird37B8yKS

--dkEUBIird37B8yKS--