Date:      Mon, 13 Jul 2009 10:09:22 -0500
From:      Robert Noland <rnoland@FreeBSD.org>
To:        "Andrew J. Caines" <A.J.Caines@halplant.com>
Cc:        freebsd-x11@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Problem with VESA and 1680x1050

--=-NNFjh00tDZO0dOPQvxoa

On Sun, 2009-07-12 at 23:26 -0400, Andrew J. Caines wrote:
> John,
>=20
> > I have a new box with an onboard GeForce 8200, which is not supported
> >  by the 'nv' driver yet.
>=20
> If you don't mind the closed code and aren't running 64 bit, you can use
> x11/nvidia-driver.
>=20
> Another option is x11-drivers/xf86-video-nouveau, but according to the
> status page[1], "Some gpu's integrated onto the motherboard do not
> function with nouveau for unknown reason, they include the geforce
> 8200/8300"

You can try nouveau with and/or without my kernel patch for drm support.

http://people.freebsd.org/~rnoland/drm-nouveau-043009.patch

which should work with the current ports of libdrm and
xf86-video-nouveau.

http://people.freebsd.org/~rnoland/drm-nouveau-062309.patch

should work with libdrm and nouveau from git.  IGP chips should be
supported.  I would be interested to hear reports of success or failure
either way.

robert.

> You might be able to get more help if you provide the chip ID.
>=20
> > (II) VESA(0): Not using mode "1680x1050" (no mode of this name) So
> > what gives? It seems like VESA is aware that the mode is supported,=20
> > yet it drops it later on anyway.
>=20
> That's not a VESA mode[1].
>=20
>=20
> [1] http://nouveau.freedesktop.org/wiki/FrontPage#Status
> [1] See e.g.
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/VESA_BIOS_Extensions#Modes_defined_by_VESA
> since vesa.org is useless for getting any information
>=20

--=20
Robert Noland <rnoland@FreeBSD.org>
FreeBSD