Date:      19 Jul 1996 12:20:25 GMT
From:      hgoldste@mpcs.com (Howard Goldstein)
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   recovering from failed update 2.1-stable->2.1.5R

Thanks to a flaky dialup slip line when I woke up this morning instead
of finding 70mb of a 'developer' install waiting for me i found the
install screen stuck halfway through the 'extract bin into /' progress
indicator.

The floppy boot kernel was still responsive; I waited 15 minutes after
restoring the slip line but gave up after it looked like it wouldn't
try to resume the FTP from ftp6 for the balance of the install.

Easy questions in two categories:

1. Should I have waited longer?  The slip link was down for a good 4
hours.  Would it have recovered and resumed from where it left off if
I had?  [could i have forced a resume before rebooting?]

2. I'm now just grabbing the minimal installation to get at least
something back on the air.  ONce I get it going (note optimism that it
will get going!) what is the best way to upgrade the balance of the
install to 2.1.5R, being the source docs and devel tools?  Can I use
sup on the remaining distributions or if I have to do the sysinstall
thing again, can I run it from the live, booted system or do I have to
boot from the floppy ?

Please copy any reply to me at the reply-to address.  I know, I detest
folks who do this but of course our entire newsfeed from a large
northwestern university went down last night as if knowing I would be
asking for some guidance (I read freebsd-questions as a munich
newsgroup).

Thanks in advance

Florida's Space Coast FreeBSD evangelist

--
Howard Goldstein   <hg@n2wx.ampr.org>