Date:      Mon, 25 Mar 1996 15:51:07 +1100
From:      Bruce Evans <bde@zeta.org.au>
To:        freebsd-current@FreeBSD.ORG, j@uriah.heep.sax.de
Subject:   Re: lint

>Here's my previous fix for the [hn]to[nh][sl] problem.  I'm not sure
>if it's totally correct, but it used to work.

[hn]to[nh][sl] fail because they are macros that expand to unportable gcc
code (with inline asm and expression-statements) and the standard version
of <machine/endian.h> isn't correctly ifdefed.

Your fix works by hiding the macros.  It should use ifdefs for `__GNUC__'
instead of for `lint' (`lint' can't be used in standard headers anyway).
However, there is a problem: `lint -g' doesn't actually understand gcc
asm, and the asm used in the macros under discussion causes problems.
The problem is limited by another one: `lint -g' doesn't define __GNUC__,
so it doesn't lint the same code that gcc would compile.

Bruce