Date:      Wed, 07 Oct 1998 12:26:26 -0700
From:      Graeme Tait <graeme@echidna.com>
To:        Bryce Newall <data@dreamhaven.net>
Cc:        vega vega <vega1@rocketmail.com>, FreeBSD Questions List <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: setting up ethernet interface

Bryce Newall wrote:

> On Wed, 7 Oct 1998, vega vega wrote:
>
> > school, i cant get a connection to the dhcp server to
> > get my static ip
>
> You mean dynamic IP, right?  Static IP and DHCP are contradictory. :)

Why couldn't you use DHCP to assign static addresses? I understood the DHCP
server's job was to reconfigure the network as required, and this would
presumably include setting up the routing from the given IP to the client.

As a related example, I have a static IP with a dialup account. With this
provider, I can dial in to any POP in the provider's coverage area
(mid-Atlantic), and still have that IP. But the routing will be different.
The static IP is dynamically assigned in the dialup negotiation, and somehow
the routing is set up dynamically in the ISP's network.

--
Graeme Tait - Echidna