Date:      Tue, 16 Mar 1999 19:38:02 -0600
From:      Alan Weber <aaweber@austin.rr.com>
To:        StoryTelr - Jedi Knight <nathan_wainwirght@bc.sympatico.ca>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Got Linux? (no, but we got FreeBSD)

On Tue, Mar 16, 1999 at 03:12:49AM -0800, StoryTelr - Jedi Knight wrote:
--> Dear FreeBSD;

--> I am a unemployed highschool student living in Canada.  Also I am
--> getting extrememly tired of windows crashing, getting rid of hardware,
--> and the general crappy design of it in general... so frankly I would
--> like a real os... Linux in other words.

--> But, as I said before, I am unemployed and I do not have enough money to
--> buy a copy of your O/S (or is it a way of life?), also I do not have
--> access to a highspeed internet connection, or a CD-burner, to download a
--> copy of  FreeBSD and put onto cd so that I could install it.

--> So I was wondering, if you could send me just the cdrom, trust me if I
--> had the cash I would be ordering it from your site right now, so that I
--> may finally use my computer for better things, then kicking it down some
--> stairs in frustration, and anger.

--> Please help me, send the cdrom (or a death threat, because I know this
--> is a really sad thing, but I'm extremely desperate.)

--> to:
--> *im running a intel machine*
--> Nathan Wainwright
--> 2839 Alexander Crescent
--> Prince George, B.C.
--> V2N 1J8

--> Thank you, and have a great day.

--> - Nathan Wainwright

The easy way to get FreeBSD without CDs.
1). Get two blank floppies.
2). Go to www.freebsd.org,
3). Click on "these directions" under "Easy to Install"
4). Follow directions and install from FTP site. This will take a while,
    but time is cheaper than money. I have brought up a machine this way
    by installing FreeBSD 3.1 Release and cvsup to 3.1 Stable. If you have
    to do this in pieces, then install the minimum system and add some piece
    each evening, You could have long downloads run overnight when nobody is
    using the phone anyway. Although this process will take you a few days,
    you will have FreeBSD up in less time than you could get a cd sent to you.

The cheapest way to get FreeBSD.

One possiblity is to go to your local library and get them to order the
Compleat FreeBSD with the cdroms, then others in your community can also borrow
the cdroms from the library.

In either case you can prepare to be able to use FreeBSD by reading the FAQ
and the handbook. Search the mailing archives for each hardware item in your
PC so you will know how to install the required software.
--
When I was a kid I had to rub sticks together to multiply and divide numbers.
A calculator was a job description.