Date:      Mon, 29 Jul 2019 21:49:57 +0200
From:      "Filippo Valsorda" <filippo@ml.filippo.io>
To:        freebsd-arm@freebsd.org
Subject:   PWM fan control on Helios4 (Marvell ARMADA 388)

I am running FreeBSD 12.0-GENERIC-350203 on the Helios4, a Marvell
ARMADA 388 board.

The device tree has two PWM GPIO fans

https://github.com/Artox/crochet/blob/4d40896f182ad704e23dd55c31290f5859145483/board/Clearfog/files/armada-388-helios4.dts#L133-L141

but it doesn't look like the OS can see them at all, and they spin at
full speed. Here's the full sysctl.

https://gist.github.com/FiloSottile/5a44f2fd0bacb44b4120b1f5c6828583

Interestingly, the Linux DTS has different pwms parameters, but I
couldn't find documentation on what they are.

https://github.com/torvalds/linux/blob/2a11c76e5301dddefcb618dac04f74e6314df6bc/arch/arm/boot/dts/armada-388-helios4.dts#L123

The Helios4 PWM circuits seem very well documented, at least.

https://wiki.kobol.io/pwm/

I would like to be able to slow the fans down. Runtime changes or
adaptive behavior are a plus, but I'd be also happy with setting them at
a fixed duty cycle.

What docs should I look at? Has anyone tried this? What are my options,
short of a hardware controller?

Thank you,
Filippo

(Please keep me CC'd.)