Date:      Sat, 4 Feb 2012 08:16:56 -0800
From:      Devin Teske <devin.teske@fisglobal.com>
To:        Amitabh Kant <amitabhkant@gmail.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD custom CD and extra files to be included in the iso

On Feb 4, 2012, at 1:37 AM, Amitabh Kant wrote:

> On Sat, Feb 4, 2012 at 2:50 PM, Amitabh Kant <amitabhkant@gmail.com> wrot=
e:
>=20
>> I have been able to use the "make release" command to create a custom iso
>> for FreeBSD which includes some changes to the various bsdinstall script=
s.
>> It all works well as the iso / memory stick images / ftp files are
>> generated and usable.
>>=20
>> What I would now like to do is try adding couple of files, scripts and/or
>> packages, to this custom iso. I am a little confused on where the files
>> should be placed so that it is placed in either root's home directory af=
ter
>> installation?
>>=20
>> Amitabh
>>=20
>=20
> Sorry for not making it clear in my last mail, I am using FreeBSD 9.0
> RELEASE on amd64 arch.
>=20

If you use the DRUID (http://druidbsd.sf.net/), this is extremely easy.

Step-by-step instructions...

NOTE: Feel free to use ANY operating system you like, so long as it has (1)=
 /bin/sh (2) cvs (3) mkisofs (4) GNU make. Including (but not limited to) M=
ac OS X (with developer tools installed), Cygwin, Linux, and of course, Fre=
eBSD.

1. mkdir druidbsd.sf.net

2. cd druidbsd.sf.net

3. cvs -d:pserver:anonymous@druidbsd.cvs.sourceforge.net:/cvsroot/druidbsd =
login

NOTE: Press "ENTER" when prompted for "CVS password:"

NOTE: Ignore warning about "failed to open ~/.cvspass"

4. cvs -z3 -d:pserver:anonymous@druidbsd.cvs.sourceforge.net:/cvsroot/druid=
bsd co -P druidbsd/druid

NOTE: The screen will stream information for about 5-10 minutes as it downl=
oads 510MB of source code to the FreeBSD DRUID installer -- a sysinstall(8)=
 based custom FreeBSD 9.0 installer capable of installing *either* i386 or =
amd64 from the same disc (among many many other things).

5. cd druidbsd/druid

NOTE: The DRUID has a special directory in-which anything placed there gets=
 copied to the target installation disk automatically after installation of=
 the Operating System completes (but before any post-installation scripts a=
re run). This directory is called "sys_custom" and it lives within the RELE=
ASE directory. Within sys_custom, files are copied exactly as-is, so since =
you mentioned that you wanted to copy files to "/root", let's operate under=
 that assumption below.

6. mkdir -p src/freebsd/repos/9.0-RELEASE-amd64/sys_custom/root

7. cp myfiles src/freebsd/repos/9.0-RELEASE-amd64/sys_custom/root/

NOTE: If you want the same files available for the installation of the i386=
 release of 9.0-RELEASE, you should repeat the above steps 6-7 with the des=
tination directory "src/freebsd/repos/9.0-RELEASE/sys_custom/root" (remembe=
r, the DRUID is a unified installer that supports both the installation of =
i386 and amd64 from the same disc).

8. ./configure

9. make freebsd

NOTE: Replace "make" with "gmake" if on FreeBSD

NOTE: If you're using FreeBSD, you may have to first say "pkg_add -r gmake"=
 followed by "rehash" (if using csh or tcsh as your shell).

NOTE: Also, if you need to get "mkisofs", it's "pkg_add -r cdrtools" (and a=
gain, "rehash" if using csh or tcsh as your shell).

10. You now have a custom "FreeBSD_Druid-9.0b56.iso" that will install your=
 custom files automatically to /root when either i386 or amd64 is installed.

ASIDE: sys_custom is like a "dumping ground" for anything and everything yo=
u simply want to be copied to-disk post-installation of the OS. If instead =
you want to write scripts to be run as part of the post-installation proces=
s, see instead "dep/freebsd/run_once/template.sh" and "src/freebsd/repos/9.=
0-RELEASE/run_once/*.sh" and "src/freebsd/repos/9.0-RELEASE-amd64/run_once/=
*.sh". The "run_once" directory unlike "sys_custom" is a "dumping ground" f=
or post-installation scripts (any script ending in ".sh" in that directory =
will automatically be executed as part of the post-installation procedure a=
fter installing the OS.

ASIDE: As you can tell, the DRUID is a FreeBSD installer that was designed =
to be *easily* extended by anybody/everybody on any OS they like (any OS th=
at can produce or edit an ISO that is).
--=20
Devin

The information contained in this message is proprietary and/or confidentia=
l. If you are not the intended recipient, please: (i) delete the message an=
d all copies; (ii) do not disclose, distribute or use the message in any ma=
nner; and (iii) notify the sender immediately. In addition, please be aware=
 that any message addressed to our domain is subject to archiving and revie=
w by persons other than the intended recipient. Thank you.