Date:      Tue, 9 Jan 2001 23:23:52 -0500
From:      "John Bolster" <j.bol@gte.net>
To:        <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   inetd can't bind to service

I'm hoping some wizard out there can help with this...

I am getting error messages from inetd every 10 minutes. The messages are:

Jan  8 20:39:06 alf inetd[141]: imap/tcp: bind: Address already in use
Jan  8 20:45:00 alf inetd[141]: imap/tcp: bind: Address already in use

I searched around for what this means and on a HP site I found this which
seems to describe it:

service/ protocol: bind:?Indicates that the service is temporarily unusable
because inetd cannot bind the service to the socket. After 10 minutes, inetd
tries to bind the socket again. If it is successful, then it will listen for
connection request and provide the appropriate service. If it fails, it will
wait another 10 minutes and try again.

However, it does not say how I should make it stop. Does anyone have any
ideas? This only started when I installed the imap-uw server. (I am running
4.1)

Thanks,

John