Date:      Fri, 30 Mar 2001 19:13:43 -0800
From:      Sean Chittenden <sean-freebsd-ipfw@chittenden.org>
To:        Nick Rogness <nick@rogness.net>
Cc:        alexus <ml@db.nexgen.com>, freebsd-ipfw@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: your mail

--zaRBsRFn0XYhEU69

> > 	ICMP type 0: echo reply
> > 	ICMP type 8: echo request
> >=20
> > 	Why not do the following?
> >=20
> > allow outgoing icmp type 8 from host
> > deny incoming icmp type 8 from anywhere
>=20
> 	Well, you can ;-)  But what about hosts that are using your BSD
> 	firewall machine as a router to the internet?

	Allow icmp type 8 from the netblock behind the bsd system, or
allow in via fxp1 and block via fxp0.... or use ipfilter and keep
state....  has anyone had any luck using the dynamic rules in ipfw?  I
moved to ipfilter before I got real deep w/ them.  How does that
functionality stack up with the state table in ipfilter?

	In any event, it's Friday, we're splitting hairs and I think a
Guinness is in order...  ::grin::  -sc

--=20
Sean Chittenden

--zaRBsRFn0XYhEU69