Date:      Tue, 24 Mar 1998 07:49:29 +0100 (MET)
From:      j@uriah.heep.sax.de (J Wunsch)
To:        freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: the Future Domain TMC-16XX

Bruce Vandiver <76350.1227@compuserve.com> wrote:

>>But it may be better to ask *Joerg Wunsch* to make up his mind
>>how to import that driver into -current ... Regards, STefan.

Well, i never made up my mind about it, really.  The architecture of
all this is a mishmash that would drag into our tree a number of
NetBSD low-level SCSI routines, where everything is organized ``just a
little different'' from the FreeBSD low-level SCSI stuff.  (In case
anybody wonders, all this came from NetBSD via PAO.)

>>Well I never.  If anyone out there is using this driver, can we have
>>some feedback?  If it works and appears to be maintained, we ought to
>>incorporate it...
> From: Bob Bishop <rb@gid.co.uk>
>
> I am especially interested in the comment "If it works and appears to be
> maintained, we ought to incorporate it..." From Bob Bishop.

Well, it sorta worked when i tried it.  It had some problems with
error recovery (i've got a faulty adapter that completely hangs the
kernel, as opposed to simply fail probing, and continuing to boot).

The driver no longer compiled under my -current system as of about a
month ago, so i had to disable it on my only machine i've got such an
adaptor.  Sorry, i'm out of time to maintain this driver myself right
now.

The guy who sent me the driver (whose name escaped me right now) would
probably maintain it, but he indicated me that he doesn't have the
technical skills e.g. to rewrite it enough to fit into the FreeBSD way
of doing things either.  Together with the advent of the CAM
subsystem, i'm not sure whether it's the right time to import it (but
i wouldn't mind if someone did it, *and* maintained the driver later
on).

Btw., there's a snapshot of it on the 2.2.5 CD-ROM, in /xperimnt.
I've even provided an installation floppy there.

--
cheers, J"org