Date:      Sun, 24 Jan 1999 00:41:13 -0800
From:      iguana@inetarena.com (Iguanasoft)
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Panic on Boot

Hello All,
Hopefully someone can help on this one, I've search a bit but cannot seem to
find a solution.

Running FREEBSD 2.2.5 on a Pentium200, 65M Ram, Western Digital Hard Drive
(wd0), IDE CD-ROM...

System has been up for a year, (besides a manual reboot here and there)
without a hitch until yesterday. It was caught in a continuous re-boot loop
with the key messages being:

Cant find file boot.conf
Cant find file boot.help
<Various Hardware probes...then ending in>
init : not found
panic : no init
Rebooting in 15 seconds
<then reboot>

My first thought was of the data that resides on the disk (the kicker being
that I had a tape drive in my hand that I was about ready to install, so
this wouldnt have been that big of a deal) I began to try different ways to
get back to a workable shell to see what the damage toll was...

I have the Generic boot floppy, the stock fixit floppy as well as the
install CD, and Live file system CD...I tried to call up the kernel by name
from the (boot:) prompt but came up with a 'file not found', (probably an
error on my end from not knowing the correct usage) I also booted into the
CD-ROM menu and arrived in the emergency holographic shell but was unable to
mount the hard disk...I had to pack it up for time constraints but will
return tommarow...

Can anyone tell me what procedure I can use that would be the wisest at this
point to get back to a bootable GENERIC kernel, or point out something
obvious I'm overlooking...any help would be GREATLY appreciated...

If I do arrive in the Holographic shell what would be the correct command to
mount the hard disk?

Any help strongly appriciated :)

-Jeff