Date:      Thu, 21 Sep 2000 14:27:13 -0600
From:      "Justin T. Gibbs" <gibbs@plutotech.com>
To:        Daniel Eischen <eischen@vigrid.com>
Cc:        "Justin T. Gibbs" <gibbs@plutotech.com>, Andy@silverbrook.com.au, Brad Knowles <blk@skynet.be>, stable@FreeBSD.ORG, "Brandon D. Valentine" <bandix@looksharp.net>
Subject:   Re: MFC of ahc driver updates (long-ish)

>OK, I got the -current driver integrated into -stable.  The
>"ahc0: spurious interrupt..." messages that I was getting
>constantly in 4.1-stable were from option AHC_ALLOW_MEMIO
>in the kernel config file.  I guess there's something
>strange about this motherboard/controller combination that
>doesn't let it do memory mapped IO.  Removing this option
>makes the -stable driver bootable.

That is really weird.  Did this option ever work on this
motherboard?

>I also get the following messages (from the -current driver
>in -stable):
>
>  ahc1:A:3: Message reject for 80 -- ignored
>
>These repeat pretty fast while the machine boots and also
>for a while after it has booted.  There seem to be about
>255 of them (dmesg | grep "Message reject" | wc -l).  In
>this system, there is nothing (not even a cable) attached
>to ahc1.

What kind of drives are you using?  My guess is that this is
caused by the controller attempting to negotiate using the
PPR message rather than SYNC/WIDE.  In -current, the XPT
will only allow PPR speeds if the device has the DT_REQ
capability in its inquiry data.  -stable does not have this
yet.  Unfortunately, the XPT negotiation filtering in CAM
(and similar logic in the Linux version of the aic7xxx
driver) allowed me to get away without properly handling
a message reject for a PPR message.  I'll try to add that
today.  I'll also look to see how hard it would be to get
the negotiation filtering into -stable.

--
Justin