Date:      Thu, 08 Jun 1995 05:08:03 -0700
From:      David Greenman <davidg@Root.COM>
To:        Christoph Kukulies <kuku@gilberto.physik.rwth-aachen.de>
Cc:        msmith@atrad.adelaide.edu.au (Michael Smith), freebsd-hackers@freefall.cdrom.com (user alias)
Subject:   Re: A day in the life of wcarchive..

>> > .3/FreeBSD             9,731,392 K              37,870     36.2     27.3
>>
>> The full alpha is ~160M, so that's 60 full copies of it.
>
>Another point that would be interesting:
>
>What is the bandwidth of wcarchives' internet link? Is it a T1 link?
>Don't know the bandwidth of a T1 (2Mbit/s?) but it would be interesting
>to calculate the theoretical limit and see if the T1 link is saturated.
>21 GB/d seems to me the theoretical throughput of a 2Mb link.
>Then it would be interesting to know if the number of ftp users
>is always in saturation (=500). If the latter is the case, the figures
>only reflect the ratio of interest in the different 'products' wcarchive
>is offering.

   Wcarchive is connected via ethernet to a 45Mb T3. It pushes an average of
700K bytes/sec during the daytime and about 250K/sec at night - or about 30G
bytes/day. It's by far the busiest anonymous FTP server on the Internet. The
above indicates that FreeBSD is approximately 1/3rd of the total traffic from
wcarchive.

-DG