Date:      Sat, 8 Dec 2001 19:59:40 +0100 (CET)
From:      "Hartmann, O." <ohartman@klima.physik.uni-mainz.de>
To:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   SSHD problems on P4

Dear Sirs.

We installed a new 2GHz P4 system with FreeBSD 4.4-RELEASE, the we
cvsupdated the code to FreeBSD 4.4-STABLE and made a world. This
machine, a new Dell PrecisionWorkstation 340 with 512MB RIMM and 2 GHz
Intel P4 CPU works finde with FreeBSD 4.4-STABLE (the systems has at
boottime some problems to bootstrap, but this problem is not reproduceable
and has not been gone while enabling options PNPBIOS in the kernel, I
think this is a BIOS issue ...).

Parallel to this machine we installed several other systems the same
way but only on the Dell system sshd is not willing to allow
connections but the ssh client allows connects to the outer world.

I switched sshd on the specific machine to debugging mode and got this:

---
root: /root: sshd -d -D
debug1: sshd version OpenSSH_2.9 FreeBSD localisations 20011202
debug1: read PEM private key done: type DSA
debug1: private host key: #0 type 2 DSA
debug1: private host key: #1 type 0 RSA1
debug1: Forcing server key to 1152 bits to make it differ from host key.
debug1: Bind to port 22 on XX.XX.XX.XX.
Server listening on XX.XX.XX.XX port 22.
Generating 1152 bit RSA key.
RSA key generation complete.
---

Then I try to connect from a client ( a machine of our computer center)
and use ssh2 -vv destination.machine.de

---
debug: connecting to client01.physik.uni-mainz.de...
debug: entering event loop
debug: ssh_client_wrap: creating transport protocol
debug: SshAuthMethodClient/sshauthmethodc.c:116: Added "publickey" to usable methods.
debug: SshAuthMethodClient/sshauthmethodc.c:116: Added "password" to usable methods.
debug: Ssh2Client/sshclient.c:1142: creating userauth protocol
debug: Ssh2Common/sshcommon.c:501: local ip = XX.XX.XX.XX, local port = 4039
debug: Ssh2Common/sshcommon.c:503: remote ip = XX.XX.XX.XX, remote port = 22
debug: SshConnection/sshconn.c:1866: Wrapping...
warning: Warning: Need basic cursor movement capablity, using vt100
debug: Ssh2Transport/trcommon.c:599: Remote version: SSH-1.99-OpenSSH_2.9 FreeBSD localisations 20011202
debug: Ssh2Transport/trcommon.c:789: Remote version has rekey incompatibility bug.
debug: Ssh2Transport/trcommon.c:1118: c_to_s: cipher 3des-cbc, mac hmac-sha1, compression none
debug: Ssh2Transport/trcommon.c:1121: s_to_c: cipher 3des-cbc, mac hmac-sha1, compression none
debug: Ssh2Client/sshclient.c:406: Host key found from database.
debug: Ssh2Common/sshcommon.c:305: Received SSH_CROSS_STARTUP packet from connection protocol.
debug: Ssh2Common/sshcommon.c:355: Received SSH_CROSS_ALGORITHMS packet from connection protocol.
debug: Ssh2Common/sshcommon.c:137: DISCONNECT received: Sorry, you are not allowed to connect.
warning: Authentication failed.
debug: Ssh2/ssh2.c:84: locally_generated = FALSE
Disconnected; protocol error (Sorry, you are not allowed to connect.).
debug: uninitializing event loop
---

This is the output of the daemon on the server side:

---
root: /root: sshd -d -D
debug1: sshd version OpenSSH_2.9 FreeBSD localisations 20011202
debug1: read PEM private key done: type DSA
debug1: private host key: #0 type 2 DSA
debug1: private host key: #1 type 0 RSA1
debug1: Forcing server key to 1152 bits to make it differ from host key.
debug1: Bind to port 22 on XX.XX.XX.XX.
Server listening on XX.XX.XX.XX port 22.
Generating 1152 bit RSA key.
RSA key generation complete.
debug1: Server will not fork when running in debugging mode.
Connection from client1.zdv.Uni-Mainz.DE port 4039
Connection from XX.XX.XX.XX port 4039
debug1: Client protocol version 1.99; client software version 2.4.0 SSH Secure Shell (non-commercial)
debug1: match: 2.4.0 SSH Secure Shell (non-commercial) pat ^2\.[2-9]\.
Enabling compatibility mode for protocol 2.0
debug1: Local version string SSH-1.99-OpenSSH_2.9 FreeBSD localisations 20011202
debug1: Rhosts Authentication disabled, originating port not trusted.
debug1: list_hostkey_types: ssh-dss
debug1: SSH2_MSG_KEXINIT sent
debug1: SSH2_MSG_KEXINIT received
debug1: kex: client->server 3des-cbc hmac-sha1 none
debug1: kex: server->client 3des-cbc hmac-sha1 none
debug1: dh_gen_key: priv key bits set: 187/384
debug1: bits set: 512/1024
debug1: expecting SSH2_MSG_KEXDH_INIT
debug1: bits set: 503/1024
debug1: sig size 20 20
debug1: kex_derive_keys
debug1: newkeys: mode 1
debug1: SSH2_MSG_NEWKEYS sent
debug1: waiting for SSH2_MSG_NEWKEYS
debug1: newkeys: mode 0
debug1: SSH2_MSG_NEWKEYS received
debug1: KEX done
debug1: userauth-request for user ohartman service ssh-connection method none
debug1: attempt 0 failures 0
debug1: Starting up PAM with username "ohartman"
Denied connection for ohartman from client1.zdv.uni-mainz.de [XX.XX.XX.XX].
Disconnecting: Sorry, you are not allowed to connect.
debug1: Calling cleanup 0x8059ba0(0x0)
debug1: Calling cleanup 0x8060c54(0x0)
---

The frustrating thing is that I did a parallel installation with an older
system based on a AMD K6-2/550 and it works! It is always on all machines
the same ssh-configuration and I copy a sshd_config file on each machine
and replace the interface part by the appropriate IP, that's it. A check by
a diff on a working and non working config showed this line as the only one that
differs.

On a working sshd (switched to sshd -d -D) I see another

'userauth-request for user ohartman service ssh-connection method none'

line, it shows a kind of protocoll and so on.

I tried to disable SSE in the kernel, but that did not help.

Well, it looks strange to me .. :-(

Thanks in advance for your comments and help.

Oliver

--
MfG
O. Hartmann

ohartman@klima.physik.uni-mainz.de
IT-Administration des Institutes fuer Physik der Atmosphaere (IPA)
Johannes Gutenberg Universitaet Mainz
Becherweg 21
55099 Mainz

Tel: +496131/3924662 (Maschinenraum)