Date:      Sun, 9 May 1999 13:52:46 +1000
From:      David Dawes <dawes@rf900.physics.usyd.edu.au>
To:        Matthew Thyer <thyerm@camtech.com.au>
Cc:        current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Doesn't anyone care about the broken sio ??

On Sun, May 09, 1999 at 12:39:56PM +0930, Matthew Thyer wrote:
>*** STOP PRESS ***  I have just confirmed that restarting the X server
>   is enough to fix the problem.   So my apologies to Bruce, -CURRENT
>   and the whole FreeBSD community in general for blaming sio.
>
>For the benefit of David Dawes, I'll quickly restate the problem:
>Running xmame (from the ports collection) causes lots of silo overflows
>with user mode ppp until I either restart the X server or reboot.
>This occurs even after I exit xmame.  This is all on FreeBSD-CURRENT but
>has been happenning for months and is not newbus related.

OK, so there may be a problem with the tseng driver in XFree86.  Does xmame
use DGA?  If so, the problem may be related to switching in and out of DGA
mode.  A test for that would be to try another DGA client and see if it
triggers the same problem (like the 'dga' test client that comes with XFree86
-- if you try it, press 'q' to exit it).

The first thing I would suspect is PCI retries.  The driver doesn't use
those by default, but a bug might cause it to overfill the ET6000's fifo
queue, which would bring the PCI retry mechanism into action.  Do you
only get the overflows when the X server is doing things?  Do you think
the X server process is using more CPU when this problem shows up compared
with before?

One other thing to try is adding the following line to the relevant Device
section in your XF86Config file:

  Option "xaa_no_color_exp"

and see if that makes any difference.

David