Date:      Sun, 12 Aug 2001 20:38:56 +0200
From:      Bernd Walter <ticso@mail.cicely.de>
To:        Jim Bryant <kc5vdj@yahoo.com>
Cc:        Sheldon Hearn <sheldonh@starjuice.net>, tlambert2@mindspring.com, Wes Peters <wes@softweyr.com>, Jason Vervlied <jvervlied@hway.net>, freebsd-current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: bash in /usr/local/bin?

On Sun, Aug 12, 2001 at 07:24:15AM -0500, Jim Bryant wrote:
> heh..  i know, but still...
>
> as for me, i'd mv `/usr/local/bin/bash /dev/null`, but he did make a good point, and the fact that the big vendors are moving in the
> direction he suggests [I belive Sun *IS* distributing BASH in /bin under Solaris 8, as I recall] does reinforce this idea.

Yes the sun packages installs into /bin:
ticso@cicely22> uname -a
SunOS cicely22 5.8 Generic_108528-01 sun4m sparc SUNW,SPARCclassic
ticso@cicely22> which bash
/bin/bash
ticso@cicely22> file /bin/bash
/bin/bash:      ELF 32-bit MSB executable SPARC Version 1, dynamically linked, stripped

It's not the first time that Unix Vendors do very silly things - just
remember that Solaris mounts / /usr and /var readwrite in singleuser
mode.

Just that others do is not a good reason to polute the base directories.
If you have a local reason - well that's your choice - but it shouldn't
be default.

ticso@cicely.de         Usergroup           info@cosmo-project.de