Date:      Fri, 13 Nov 1998 11:18:28 +0100
From:      Ron Klinkien <root@zappa.demon.nl>
To:        freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: i2c projects

Hello,

On Fri, Nov 13, 1998 at 12:17:48AM +0000, Nicolas Souchu wrote:

> >I want to build a weather station / home automation project using a FreeBSD running pc,
> >and the i2c bus on my video capture card.
>
> Cool. FreeBSD is the good choice.

Yes, it's great for almost anything ;-)

> Yes, this is lacking. Waiting for a MAKEDEV update, try:
>
> mknod iic0 c 105 0
> mknod smb0 c 106 0

Ah thanks,

> >Which major/minor numbers to use etc...?
>
> You would have found them in the related drivers:

I also spotted them in majors.i386 as it should.

> iicbus is a powerfull framework that should bring you all what you need with
> only few indications about how to use it.

Thats what i'm looking for no worries about timing etc...

> Now, you want to write user/kernel code? If you need kernel code which is
> uncertain, /sys/dev/iicbus/iic.c will be a good start. Read, copy and
> modify it as needed.

No just a normal user code program will do for starters.

The drivers in the kernel seems to work:
-- cut ---
bktr0: <BrookTree 848> rev 0x12 int a irq 10 on pci0.9.0
bti2c0: <bt848 Hard/Soft I2C controller>
iicbb0: <I2C generic bit-banging driver> on bti2c0
iicbus0: <Philips I2C bus> on iicbb0 master-only
Probing for devices on iicbus0: <c0> <c1> <c2> <c3>
smbus0: <System Management Bus> on bti2c0
Miro TV, Temic PAL tuner.

--- cut ---

>         { "iic", IICBUS_DEVICE_CLASS, "PCF8574 I2C to 8 bits parallel i/o", 64},

Hmm i happen to have this one... waiting to be soldered onto my experiment board
;-)

> Nicolas.
>
> --

Thanks for your help so far..

Ron.

--

---
Running Solaris/SPARC at work, enjoying FreeBSD/PII at home.

Ron Klinkien			System Engineer
ron@zappa.demon.nl		http://www.zappa.demon.nl