Date:      Mon, 24 Apr 1995 00:05:17 +0200 (MET DST)
From:      J Wunsch <j@jette.heep.sax.de>
To:        hackers@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: How do I set a kernel variable?

> It turns out that it _is_ possible to set a variable, but there's a trick
> to it.
[Evil trickery deleted]

> If you try to just do the following:
>
> gdb -k
> set write
> exec-file /kernel
>
> you'll get an error, because gdb tries to open /kernel for writing, which
> (for some reason) fails miserably.

/kernel installed by ``make install''?  I think it will have the
immutable flag set then.

> Maybe we should have a "-w" flag to specify opening the core-file for
> writing ? Any opinions ?

After reading your description, just this question came to mind.  If
nobody objects: go for it.

> Could you add this tip to the kernel-debug.FAQ, J"org ?

Once my CVS is back, yes.  Otherwise: you've got commit privs, too.
Your english is (hopefully :) better than mine -- so you can also do
it yourself.

I don't mind doing it however.  Will keep you message in my growing
work queue, as a reminder.

Jörg