Date:      Mon, 26 Jul 1999 08:40:03 -0600
From:      "Ronald G. Minnich" <rminnich@acl.lanl.gov>
To:        freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Filesystem question...

On Sun, 25 Jul 1999, Mark Newton wrote:
> "Appropriate access" includes the idea that you need to own the mountpoint
> directory.  If you have a system that's so badly run that arbitrary users
> own /tmp, then I'd say user mounts are the least of your problems :-)

True. But the fact is, if I can mount arbitrary filesystems into a name
space seen by all processes, I can really cause some trouble.

> Correct (unless you want your private stuff to be private, and chmod
> your mountpoint's parent directory accordingly).

People seem to be far more trusting of root than I am ... OK, I'll grant
you can protect it from J. Random User. Why do people feel so willing to
believe that chmod solves the world's problems?

ron