Date:      Wed, 17 Nov 1999 21:48:56 +0000 (GMT)
From:      Jonathon McKitrick <jcm@dogma.freebsd-uk.eu.org>
To:        TrouBle <trouble@netquick.net>
Cc:        "freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG" <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: Updating installed PORTs

Well, basically, cvsup with ports-all in the supfile will get the ports
for the newest updates.  Then, if you cd to /usr/ports you can run make
all (i think) to make all the newest versions.  Then you can make install
to install them.  The reason this isn't more automated is because newer
isn't always better.  ;-)  You may want to try the new one first, or read
the docs, before an automatic update.  Also, you have to run make
deinstall first before make install, or you may have more than one verion
of libs, docs, even binaries....

On Wed, 17 Nov 1999, TrouBle wrote:

>yes im aware of cvsup but that doesnt upgrade/update a port ive
>installed on my system for me! im looking to automate the process of
>building/installing ports installed on my system against newer versions
>in the ports tree
>
>say i installed enlightenment dr 15-5, well that was then, no the dr 16
>is the newer port in the tree, im looking for somethjing i can run that
>will grab a list of what ports i have installed compare it to, whats
>changed/updated in the ports tree and build/install/update my installed
>ports for me! so i dont have to manually track everything i have
>installed.
>
>Jonathon McKitrick wrote:
>>
>> Just to make sure, you are aware of CVSup, right?
>>
>> On Wed, 17 Nov 1999, TrouBle wrote:

-jonathon