Date:      Sun, 13 Jan 2002 20:39:11 -0500
From:      Randall Hopper <aa8vb@nc.rr.com>
To:        joeo@cracktown.com
Cc:        multimedia@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Unreal Tournament (was Re: OpenGL)

joeo@cracktown.com:
 |> Running this Linux glxinfo with LIBGL_DEBUG set now shows that the Linux
 |> glxinfo can't open /dev/dri/card0, whereas the FreeBSD glxinfo can.
 |Short answer.  Grab the *_dri.so's out of the linux binary distribution of
 |XFree86-4.1.0.  There shouldn't have been major changes to prevent this
 |from working with the MGA.

I just tried that, pulling XFree86 4.1.0's libs/modules Linux-ix86-glibc21
directly from xfree86.org.  I get:

   libGL: XF86DRIGetClientDriverName: 1.1.0 mga
   libGL: trying /usr/X11R6/lib/modules/dri/mga_dri.so
   libGL: trying /usr/X11R6/lib/modules/dri/mga_dri.so
   libGL error: failed to open DRM: Operation not permitted
   libGL error: reverting to (slow) indirect rendering
   display: :0.0  screen:0
   direct rendering: No

Originally, I'd tried the linux_dri-4.1.0 port, with exactly the same results.

 |Okay, here's the deal with the linux emulation prblems for the compiled
 |_linux_ libs for the CVS resident stuff...
 |#if defined(XFree86Server)
 |	fd = drmOpenMinor(i, 1);
 |#else
 |	fd = drmOpenMinor(i, 0);
 |#endif

Thanks.  It got a little further this time, but still has problems.  Here's
what I get:

   > ./glxinfo
   name of display: :0.0
   libGL: XF86DRIGetClientDriverName: 1.1.0 mga (screen 0)
   libGL: OpenDriver: trying /usr/X11R6/lib/modules/dri/mga_dri.so
   libGL: OpenDriver: trying /usr/X11R6/lib/modules/dri/mga_dri.so
   drmOpenByBusid: busid is PCI:1:5:0
   drmOpenByBusid: drmOpenMinor returns 4
   drmOpenByBusid: drmGetBusid reports (null)
   drmOpenByBusid: drmOpenMinor returns -2
   drmOpenByBusid: drmOpenMinor returns -2
   drmOpenByBusid: drmOpenMinor returns -2

So drmOpenMinor succeeds for card 0 now, with your patches, but then
drmGetBusid returns NULL, probably from the drmMalloc in there.  Following
it through, I see _DRM_USE_MALLOC in drmMalloc expands to be Xalloc
(i.e. xalloc) which appears to be true only when "XFree86Server" is defined
(?).  Strange.

I'm doing a rebuild now to see if something wasn't propagated correctly
(though, having edited only one .c file and having seen the results of the
change in the glxinfo run, I'm not optimistic that it'll make a
difference...)

Randall

--
Randall Hopper