Date:      Wed, 27 Jun 2007 11:49:45 -0600
From:      Kenny Dail <kend@amigo.net>
To:        Barnaby Scott <bds@waywood.co.uk>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Gradual move to own mail server - strategy for noob

> Configure Sendmail, which I accepted as the default mailer
> Install Procmail to deliver messages in Maildir format (to users' home
> directories?)
> Install Courier IMAP as the IMAP server

> Have I got this about right? Do I really need 4 separate tools to do
> this? Have I overlooked something more obvious/elegant? Where are my big
> pitfalls going to be?

For a new person, Sendmail and Procmail is a difficult mail system to
learn (IMO). If you want to use Courier IMAP, you might look at using
the full Courier suite it has the simplicity of doing everything in one
package. I currently much prefer using Dovecot for IMAP, and Postfix for
MTA. They are both quite easy to set up and customize to fit changing
needs.

--
Kenny Dail <kend@amigo.net>