Date:      Wed, 23 May 2001 15:56:22 -0500
From:      "David W. Chapman Jr." <dwcjr@inethouston.net>
To:        "Peter Pentchev" <roam@orbitel.bg>
Cc:        <ports@FreeBSD.org>
Subject:   Re: ports/27563: postfix-current is broken

> Yes, you did understand what I was saying, or at least you did, if what
> you think I was saying is 'leave it to the user to give the proper config
> options/defines'.  This is precisely what I mean, and what I still think,
> even as you're saying that the options are critical.  Give the user
> a prominent warning in a pre-everything or pre-configure or something
> stage, or in the configuration dialog if there is one, and then don't
> blame yourself for their lack of basic reading comprehension skills :)
>
> Sure, this could be viewed as 'give them enough rope to hang themselves',
> but, well, I really don't see how this could be done in a more elegant way
> (and I do consider running nm(1) on libraries a less than elegant
solution).

One thing I just thought about though was what about the packages.  By
default the postfix-current package won't work with your method, but will
with mine because if it detects how sasl was compiled it will add mysql
support(default in sasl).  If its a config option, it will fail before
postfix-current defaults to no mysql and sasl does the opposite.